J A M E S H O L M E S
4222 SE 26th Ave • Portland, Oregon • 97202
5 0 3 • 9 7 5 • 9 4 1 6 cell
Technology and Media Resources Librarian • Reed College • Portland, OR • 2011-present
- Administrator of Student Multimedia lab
- Assistant Systems Librarian
- Additional supervisory duties of Library Computer Technician (1 FTE)
- General reference and instruction
- Additional duties as outlined below in previous position as Instructional Media Center Manager
Instructional Media Center Manager • Reed College • Portland, OR • 2007 – 2011
- Department manager for the Instructional Media Center, which houses the library’s media collection, language lab, video viewing room, and music classroom.
- Duties include collection development, acquisition, cataloging, and circulation of library media resources.
- Budget proposal and spending for the combined IMC/AV Departments.
- Hire, train and supervise a student staff of 8-12 workers responsible for circulation, course reserves, and inventory.
- Supervision of Audio-Visual Department (2 FTE). Design and installation of educational and performance technologies for the Reed College campus.
- Assist in administration of the language lab, a computer lab consisting of 21 iMacs with a variety of language, video, audio, and core curriculum software.
- Assist in bibliographic and technology instruction for the performing arts and language classes.
Audio-Visual Services Coordinator • Reed College • Portland, OR • 1999-2007
- Head of Audio-Visual Services, a division of the Reed College Library Instructional Media Center. Supervisory duties of one FTE and several student workers.
- Responsibilities included design, purchase, installation, operation, and maintenance of all audio-visual equipment on campus.
- Other duties included recording and editing events for archival/broadcast, budget proposal/spending, equipment training, inventory control, systems consulting.
Manager • Windy City Sound & Lighting • Chicago, IL • 1994-1999
- Professional audio/lighting sales and consulting. Specialization in mobile systems, club, corporate, and recording studio installation.
- Live sound engineer performing front of house and monitor duties. Thoroughly knowledgeable in all areas of sound and lighting production.
- Two years management experience consisting of full administrative duties with respect to: basic accounting, employee management, company asset management, marketing, customer service.
- Emporia State University – Portland, OR • Master of Library and Information Science • 2010
- Columbia College – Chicago, IL • Bachelor of Arts • Audio Engineering • 1994
AWARDS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Recipient of Reed College 2003 Staff Excellence Award, an annual award given to an employee as nominated by students, staff, and faculty – elected by the Excellence Award Committee.
- Member of ALA, ACRL, OLA, NW/MET and CCUMC
COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS, WORKGROUPS & TASKFORCES
- ACRL Oregon Board Member – Private Colleges Representative (beginning 9/1/11)
- ACRL Oregon – Reed College liaison
- ACRL Task Force on Guidelines for Media Resources in Academic Libraries
- Reed College Committee for the Performing Arts Center
- Reed College Digital Media Delivery Workgroup
- Reed College Library Communication Workgroup
- Reed College Library Web-usability Group
- Reed College Committee on Supervisor Development Planning
- Several Reed College hiring committees including: Performing Arts Librarian, Collection Development Librarian, Electronic Resources Librarian, Director of College and Events Planning, AV Technician.
- Molly Raphael ALA president – news and announcements – website design and maintenance.
- Molly Raphael ALA campaign, 2010 – website design and maintenance.
- Karen Searcy, 2006 – recording engineer for youth jazz project.
- Multnomah County Library – annual central branch summer block party.
- ACRL OR/WA – A retrospective look at the future of libraries (2010)
- Online Northwest – Using text-to-movie for library tutorials (2011)
PUBLISHING AND REVIEW
- Review committee member – Journal of Computer Mediated Communication (2010-present)
- ACRL Guidelines for Media Resources in Academic Libraries
- Library applications – III Millennium, OCLC Connexion,
- Audio/Video/Image editing – ProTools, Audacity, FinalCut, iMovie, Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash
- Web software – Dreamweaver, Fetch, Library à la Carte, various Content Management Systems
- Office production software – MS Office, OpenOffice, Filemaker
- Unix – Solutions